Friday, June 13, 2008

Who Is Your Hero

1935 was the year that everything changed for me. It was also the year when I found Amelia. Amelia Earhart, she holds a torch of hope for a generation of women. In this picture she's surrounded by media as she's just finished flying from Honolulu to Oakland, California. The first solo flight of any individual - male or female - over the Pacific Ocean. Imagine!

I've never been near a plane. I saw one fly over the farm once and I ran out and waved my apron. The plane dipped its wings and now I wonder - what if that had been Amelia. What if I had actually waved at Amelia? The thought gives me goose bumps. She's my hero or would that be heroine? Either way, she gives me hope.

I remember looking at this picture and dreaming what it would be like to be that brave, that free. I went down to the church that day and played the piano like I hadn't in a very long time.

I don't know what it would be like to be Amelia Earhart, she is so different from any other woman I know, yet she is a heroine to so many of us, including me. I wish I could be as brave. But the truth is I'm not. And then there's Maggie, the farm is the only chance we have to make a go of it. And some days I'm not sure if we'll be able to do it. But it's only been a few days since Mr. Edwards died. And sadly, I feel free. Worse, I know Maggie is happier.

When things are at their bleakest I know I'll pull out that clipping of Amelia's. What do you do when life just gets you down?



Eva Edwards
From the Dust

p.s. I have a feeling that somethings going to happen the next few days I don't know what. But I had a disturbing encounter after Mr. Edwards' funeral. A strange man, dressed like a banker, talked like no one I'd ever met, we got caught in a dust storm Maggie and me, and there he was. There was no choice but for him to share the barn with us. But I get chills thinking about it - I'd rather not.



No comments: